Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Keys to Long Ministry Life

Early in my journey as a Christian I was taught that character always trumped gifting. After thirty-two years of ministry I am fully convinced that this is true. I have been told that as many as 80% of those called to ministry give up after just five years. The pressure of ministry life, the constant pressure to perform, unreasonable ideas of success all take their toll. How can we who are called to ministry keep from losing our way? First and foremost is leaning into the grace of God. Grace can be described as “God’s influence on the human heart”. We started the race with grace and it is by grace that finish well. Following list questions is a list of areas that I believe is our responsibility to maintain in our character. I hope it is help to those who are walking the journey of ministry.

• Am I sure of my calling?
• Is my vision clear?
• Is my passion hot?
• I’m I developing my gifts?
What are my top spiritual gifts?
What I’m I doing to strengthen those gifts.
• Is my character submitted to Christ?
• Is my Pride subdued?
• Am I over coming fear?
Fear immobilizes and neutralizes leaders.
• Are interior issues undermining?
• Is my pace sustainable?
• Is love increasing for God and others?

No comments:

Post a Comment