Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A New Approach

I recently connected with an old friend that I had not seen in a number of years. Our parting of ways had been painful in that I saw this person reject counsel and watched their life self-destruct. For years I ‘just’ assumed that this person was in the same place that we started. I saw this person at a worship event and noticed how passionately this person was worshiping God. Hands raised, heartfelt expressions of love for God. Every sermon about the grace of God ran through my mind and the Spirit’s conviction weighed heavy on me. At the same meeting was a pastor that had been removed from his place of ministry because of integrity issues. A young lady that came over and said that she felt that the Lord wanted me to pray for this man. I struggled with the feelings of judgment, as I was aware of the many details of this man’s ministry. Again the Spirit convicted me with the scandalous grace of God.

I am amazed on how quickly we can write someone off. Sayings like "Bite me once, shame on you, bite me twice shame on me" have a pragmatic wisdom about them. We will observe a failure of character in an area of life and then make a lasting value judgment concerning that person. I have found in my thirty plus years of ministry that many who rejected counsel, sinned against the church, ruined their marriages, the list can go on and on, yet many have come to their senses and humbly returned to Christ. The problem arises when we continue to see that person solely through the lens of the flesh. We may not of been part of the solution of the problem and still view the person through the lens of offence or failure.

I am committed to getting past that mindset. It is important to see where a persons been, but it is more important to see where they are going. Grace is the divine influence on the human heart and God does not give up easily. There is a song we sing that has a line that says of God, “ you wrestle with the sinners heart” The scripture is full of stories of people who failed in some area, and God brings restoration. Jesus taught his followers to have a different attitude toward those who brought offense. Pray for those who use despitefully use you”, “turn the other check”, forgive as I have forgave you” are the commands to those who are near to God.

The apostle Paul wrote “he knew no man after the flesh” I want to live like that!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Steve! I love it! I'm going to repost this on my blog!

    ReplyDelete