Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tragic Mistake

I remember in my 20’s in the early years of my journey as a follower of Christ I heard a teaching that prayer was a vital discipline for anyone involved in ministry and that anyone serious about serving God would pray an hour a day. There was much talk about being mighty men of God and being sold out. So I tried to join an intercessors group led by a very anointed woman who was in her seventies. I will never forget my first impression as I went into this group. First of all I noticed it was primarily women present, some attractive gals that I was infatuated with to be sure, but no men. You can imagine the scene, chairs in a circle, some kneeling, soft music in the background. There was a lot of wailing and “standing in the gap” for various loved ones and people with problems. I was stunned, what on earth could this accomplish? I was used to being out on the streets in Arcata California preaching the gospel. Most of my friends and I were into the ‘in your face’, confrontational type of evangelism. So here I am with a bunch of ladies, and in my mind, wasting time. Being young and dumb, I expressed my dismay at the lack of mission that I saw at this meeting. Where was the prayer for justice, conviction, for the overthrow of the kingdom of darkness? As you can imagine I was not welcome at that prayer meeting any longer. Of course my perspective of what they were doing was flawed, I had come at a time just set aside for praying for individuals. Other times that group would pray and fast for the church, for the sending of church planting teams around the world. Many church planters attributed their success in making inroads in the cities they were sent to the prayer of this woman and her prayer team. In my youthful zeal and pride I concluded that prayer was overrated, I was about doing the stuff, I would pray for the sick, but I wasn’t going to “just sit around”. What a tragic mistake.

A few years later I was given the responsibility to be a part of a leadership team leading a place called the Lighthouse Ranch, a Christian community in Loleta California. It was in state of decline and was in serious financial trouble. The people were discouraged, the leadership was tired and had lost their passion for leading, it was a pretty hopeless situation. It was clear that we needed help, so the leadership asked David Drieling to come and oversee the ranch. I remember the first leadership meeting with Dave, he announced that the first thing that we would implement is that as a team we would pray for an hour each day for the Lighthouse community. I was stunned, I thought “you got to be kidding don’t you see this boat is sinking!!” He was serious though, when some of the leaders would not attend because they were to busy, he would reduce their responsibilities, when they still wouldn’t participate he relieved them of all responsibility. It became clear real fast that the work was moving forward under a different paradigm. It was in this context that I learned to pray. David’s passion was infectious, his prayers fervent and sometimes loud, but the results were amazing! In 28 days that community, which was discouraged, downcast and almost bankrupt, had begin to attract new people, the atmosphere was electric; worship times were over the top, financially the Ranch was in the black and owed no one. Those who would pray with David where jokingly called “David’s mighty men”. This man had demonstrated by his example of what prayer does. I will always be grateful for the time that I served with him.

What does my rambling have to do with today? I believe that we need to pray more. You know the passionate, infectious, fervent kind of prayers. Not just in our personal time but corporate times with other believers. Much of the early churches time was spent in praying together. I believe that God responds to a praying people. Prayer can bring change to any circumstance, it leads to help in times of trouble, it helps us trust God.

No comments:

Post a Comment