Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Appreciation


Appreciation is the grease that keeps relationships moving. Nothing is more powerful to convey the value of an individual. Genuine appreciation feeds the soul of the giver as well as the one who receives it. Many of the letters Paul writes starts with expressions of appreciation for example in Colossians he writes "We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,” (Col1:3) Paul conveys his appreciation for the believers in Thessalonica, “How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy we have in the presence of our God because of you? (1Th 3:9). It is easy to overlook these as a simple greeting but the represented more. It was a great encouragement to the church knowing that Paul was thinking and praying for them.

Why is appreciation so lacking in many relationships? I think it is rooted in the expectations we have of others. Thoughts like “well its their job”, or “they are only doing what they are supposed to do” It is so easy to let expectations blind us to the opportunities to show people we value them. I have made many friends in the service industries by going out of my way to thank them for doing a good job. Think of the people that serve us here at SCF. Ushers, greeters, coffee makers, children's workers, communion preparers, people who come in early and give of their time. Do you ever think to tell them you appreciate them?

How does appreciation benefit the giver? 
 For one thing it gets our minds of ourselves. It opens our eyes to see the good in people. It is an antidote to pessimistic thinking. When I pause and see someone giving of their time and goodwill it challenges me to do likewise. When I express gratitude it changes my perception, I begin to see the abundance of good in the little things. I learn to love in a practical way when I really stop and notice people. Dale Carnegie an American writer and lecturer, believed that it is possible to change other people's behavior by changing one's behavior toward them. He wrote “the deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated and the desire to be important.” Think about this in terms of your own life, don't we all want to be noticed and valued? Doesn't you heart soar a little when someone notices and comments on your efforts? We have the power to lift people up. When we bless others we are blessed in return. Pro 11:25 says it well “The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed: those who help others are helped.”

How does appreciation benefit the receiver?
It tells us that we are noticed and we are significant. So many times the encouragement that comes from others reaffirms God's love for us. Proverbs paints a work picture of the power of encouragement  “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.” (Pro 25:11) I remember when I was a young believer I was discouraged and feeling insignificant. I lived in a Christian commune and had the responsibility of milking 3 cows. I was a city boy and did not like cows at all. I milked the cows and walked the 200 yards back to the kitchen carrying 10 gals of milk in the rain feeling ready to throw in the towel and leave and go back to the streets. We I arrived there was a lady by the name of MaryLu Kelly that met me at the door and spoke genuine words of appreciation, she told me how much the milk meant to the single mothers and how Jesus loved the way I served, she told me I was a man of God! It was life changing for me. I still carry her encouragement in my heart after 45 years. You and I have a powerful gift we can give, to notice people, to build them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment